*Freeze your butter for at least 25 to 30 min, if not overnight. (secret!)
This recipe is my go-to when I need a good and crusty pie crust for quiche, pies, hand pies, and even chicken or turkey pot pies. Like I always say, skies the limit!
*This is a crust you could make ahead of time for my freezer momma’s out there. Wrap it in wax paper, put it into a freezer bag, date it, freeze it. Easy peezy!
*I do have a secret to get the butter through this crust without a lot of hard work. I mean who has time for that with a hungry busy family? Freeze that stick of butter! I’ll tell you what to do with it in a little bit.
- 1 and 1/4 cups of flour, you can even use wheat if you like.
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup of butter, which is usually 1 stick. but ALWAYS check the packaging!
- 1/4 cup of ice water or cool and or filtered water
- 1 tsp of sugar or brown sugar (optional but a secret delight in savory dishes!)
- 1 tsp of cinnamon (optional)
*If you are using this crust now, preheat your ovens for your dishes.
- In a medium sized bowl, or if you are doubling like me, a large bowl, add the dry ingredients together and mix, yep that’s it. We are trying to get this done guys.
- Now for my secret with the butter. It might not be that secret, but I discovered this by accident.
- Pull out a cheese shredder and shred the butter into the flour mixture, stopping every now-and-then to combine the flour with the butter (use a big fork). We want to get that butter all through this flour with out ALL the hard work of cutting butter in with a pastry cutter. (unless you want to 😉
- Next, once that butter is throughout, start adding water a tablespoon at a time. We want our mixture to form into a ball. So if you need more water add it, be careful not to make it sticky.
- IF you add too much water by accident, toss a tablespoon of flour into it. It should be smooth, not wet. Think nice soft play dough!
- All right, time to ROLL ’em out!
- Roll it to fit your pie pan, giant glass dish, foil pan, cookie sheet, whatever! That’s RandomNest style.
I hope you guys enjoyed this recipe, if you made it comment below, if you tweaked it, share with us in the comments below. I love to see how and what you guys are making.