This is a fast and easy recipe for moms and dads who need something quick, and forgot to thaw out that ground turkey. Happens to me all the time!
I love this recipe because it has my favorite mushrooms added, so you get a nice thick satisfying meal, with or without the vegetables on the side, you know, if you DON’T have time for that.
It is kid approved, and if your kiddos don’t like mushrooms, make them on the side to add to yours.
*Tip: Use paper plates for a fast clean up!
So lets get started!
Feeds 6-8 people, double to freeze if you please!
- 1 lb of ground turkey (frozen or thawed)
- 1/2 cup of mushrooms ( or more according to your liking)
- 2 cloves of minced garlic (or dried, don’t have either? try garlic powder to taste!)
- 1/4 cup of diced onions (fresh, frozen, or dried)
- 1/2 TB of Turmeric
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp of Cayenne pepper (or to taste, and definitely optional)
- 1/4 cup of water
- Put your ground turkey into a medium sized pot with water. Whether you are cooking it from frozen or fresh does not matter.
- Cook on medium to low speeds with a lid. This ensures moistness, and the turkey will be VERY tender.
- Of course if it is fresh, the turkey will be done earlier, making this meal even faster.
- Let simmer for 15-20 minutes checking in between.
- Once your meat has cooked to partially brown, add your mushrooms.
- I used ones that I had previously frozen when doing my https://randomnestfamily.org/2020/02/12/stir-fry-veggie-delight/
- Now, start adding all of your seasonings including the minced garlic.
- Let those simmer in the covered pot for 10 minutes (more or less), keeping an eye.
- When the ground turkey has browned, begin to break it up into chunks, or cut it up in the pot by running a pair of kitchen scissors through it.
- Pull out some tortillas and have tacos
- Tortilla chips for a nacho
- Layer it over rice with salsa
- Pair your taco dish with some fresh veggies, making this meal complete!
Recipes to inspire you and to help you feed your family for weeks and months! Hello meal Prep!