This is one of the best soups you will ever make and taste.
The quick story behind this one, is simply this: I hate melted tortilla chips in my soup!
I love, absolutely love Tortilla soup, but every time I ordered it from restaurants, they ladeled it with crunchy tortillas, that melted!
I loved the aspect of having tortillas in my soup. So I decided to revamp my chicken soup recipe, in order to make a spicy, yet delicious tortilla soup, sure to fill up my family.
Now, even if you decide to freeze this, and trust me, I freeze everything, you will always have a nice bowl of tortilla soup without worrying about wilted chips.
It does take time to make this.
You can get started ahead of time by making my homemade tortillas, and refrigerating them until you need it. You can also save time if you cook your chicken ahead of time. I explain in more detail in the recipe.
So, let’s get started!
Never Leave Home!
Well, unless you want too. Below I have listed some ingredients you can buy right now to make your soup. Shopping from these links will cost you nothing extra and might get us a little commission.
- Large pot
- Large spoon
- Large Skillet
- 20 Chicken thighs, or two whole chicken breast (bone in or out) *Cut time!
- Parmesan Cheese Optional: to top off your bowl of soup
Seasonings for The Chicken
- Lawry's Season Salt Season to taste
- Black pepper Optional Season to taste
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 2½ quarts Water Used to boil your chicken if not using precooked chicken.
- 2½ quarts Chicken stock for precooked chicken NOT necessary if your chicken is NOT precooked.
- 1 can Medium Jalapeno peppers **Ortega
- ½ Cup Fresh Cilantro Optional, you can also use the dried variation
- 1 can whole tomatoes crushed in puree 28 oz should work, Can also use diced tomatoes and a 6oz can tomato paste.
- 4 cloves minced or chopped garlic
- 4 chopped Carrot Sticks About 2½ cups
- 2 stalks Celery chopped About 1 cup
- 2 Cups Chopped onions Can also replace with dried onions.
- Olive Oil
Optionally, you can add a bag of NORMANDY brand veggies!
Homemade Tortilla dough (see the link in recipe notes below, or above in recipe description on page)
- 7 Fresh white corn tortillas cut into strips If you don't have time to make the dough. Top off your soup with these when you are finished.
Prepare your Chicken
- Clean and prepare your chicken to be cooked.In a large pot, add your chicken thighs (or breast), and seasonings with the water and cook on medium for 30 minutes until done.
Meanwhile, Prepare your veggies and seasonings
- Cut up your veggies
- Heat your large skillet over medium heat with about a tbsp of olive oilAdd your onions, celery, carrots and cook until your onions start to brown. Add your garlic and cook until they get a small brown color, DO NOT BURN.Set aside.
- Once your chicken is mostly done, take it out and begin to shred it, one piece at a time.
- Next, take your chopped veggies and add them to the broth from the cooked chicken.
- Add your tomatoes and jalapeno peppers
- Add the shredded chicken back into the pot, keep at low heat until you add the tortilla dough.
Prepare your tortilla dough -this should take 5 min
- Take your ball of dough and break off into ½ inch or smaller balls, depending on how big the bite you want.As you roll them, or break them off, drop into your pot of soup, turning slightly as they build up on top of each other.
- Once all your dough is added into the pot, increase the heat to high to start a boil.Once boiling, decrease the heat to medium, cook for 15-20 minutes more, +-.Soup is done when all the balls are cooked through.
- Top your bowl of soup with parmesan cheese and freshly chopped cilantro
You will need a batch of these if you are homemaking your soup to the core!
Top this with homemade sour cream